Laura Geller Beauty

Sunday, May 7, 2017

“A Colorful Way of Living” Book Review by Stacy DeRose

Being an avid Vera Bradley fan, I couldn't wait to read Barbara Bradley Baekgaard's new book, “A Colorful Way of Living.” The book exceeded my expectations. I was surprised to learn fun facts, such as her unconventional manner of hiring people based on if she would dine with them and giving the scarf off her neck to a flight attendant who admired the way she tied it. Overall, it's an easy, inspirational read.


Don't cheat yourself and buy the Kindle version. If you love Vera Bradley, you will love the color in this book! It pops! Both interior and exterior patterns are featured, and some with different color schemes. I know hard copies seem to be the way of the past, but there is no way you can capture Barb's true love of color with an electronic copy. The book is definitely worth the space on your bookshelf and not filed away in your e-reader!


Barb's quote, “There's room for everyone,” is my new mantra. I've recently started a YouTube channel and it's quite intimidating to jump into a site where 72 hours of content are already being loaded every minute. Taking from her experience of reaching out to those within her niche, instead of not watching others within my niche to deny them views, I now watch and learn from them. Now I see them as complimentary to me, not as competitors. There's room for everyone. I thank Barb for that.


I admit it, while living in Fort Wayne, I was mildly jealous of Barb. My husband's uncle worked for her first husband and actually carried bolts of fabric in his business for Barb and Pat in the beginning. I knew the nice neighborhood where she met Pat. I knew she had always been from money. She isn't a rags to riches tale, she's a comfortable to riches tale. I thought she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, and she was, comparing her to my and my husband's families. To her credit, she doesn't deny that in her book. Since reading this, I've learned more not to judge a book by its cover, pun intended. She's had her fair share of tragedy. Money doesn't take away life's cruelties. She's went through a divorce, lost friends to breast cancer, and lost the love of her life to a terrible disease. I admit it, I cried when I read this last part. She is a real person with an amazing and refreshing look on life, learning from both success and tragedy.


Reading about her colorful life, you see the master plan. It all fell into place through a spark of an idea in an airport, fueled by chance meetings and lucky misunderstandings. You'll learn as you read this book that she opened herself up to people, and if there was doubt, she carried on anyway. I love her “ready, fire, aim” attitude, and I can relate to that! I jump in with two feet and then figure out the rest.


She speaks on almost every page about her family, whether it's memories while growing up or moments with her grand children. If you're familiar with Vera Bradley, you'll see familiar names that the company has used in their lines. How many other multi-million dollar businesses use the names of the co-founders' children, grandchildren, and friends in their products? What a unique and genuine touch! Doesn't make you want to run out and buy a Vera Bradley bag? Not to mention, work for Barb. I've had a few former coworkers be hired by Vera Bradley, so I know Barb's stories about making employees family are true.

I'm so glad she wrote “A Colorful Way of Living.” Now the previously unknown stories of what shaped a successful business are shared with the public. Learning about the background of the pattern Tavern on the Green and laughing about the magnetic mishap with a prototype are events that aren't necessarily world-changing, but add richness to life. These are stories that I will forever think about. I rarely reread books. This one I will be reading over and over. For inspiration, for confidence, for assurance that if Barb can “ready, aim, fire,” I can too.

2 comments:

  1. Stacy this is well written and a wonderful glimpse into the live of this ambitious woman. Your enthusiasm on the Vera Bradley topic is totally infectious and puts a fire under most to increase their love and appreciation of the line. You go girl. Bravo for what you stand for and your love and interest in Vera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it didn't print my name. I truly enjoy you and your love of Vera Bradley. Sandy Gray

      Delete